Do you know what flushes are and why they are related to Darjeeling blends? Flushes are the harvesting or growing seasons of Darjeeling teas. Some think that flush is the act of harvesting blends but it is the period when plants develop new leaves. These leaves are then harvested through machine or hand, according to the variant they need to produce. Exact time of flushes can vary from one region to another but, there is a general classification of these flushes.
- First Flush – from late February to middle of April
- In-between Flush – from late April to early of May
- Second Flush – from late May to June
- Monsoon Flush – during September
- Third Flush – during October and November
- Winter Flush – between November and February