- During the tea-growing season, first flush tea is harvested at the beginning of the year, typically in early spring when the tea plants are just emerging from their winter dormancy. The leaves are young and tender, resulting in a tea with a light and delicate flavour profile that exudes hints of flowers and grass. Drinking first-flush tea is akin to savouring a fresh breeze. In contrast, second-flush tea is harvested later in the year, usually during the summer months. By this time, the leaves have matured, resulting in a fuller body and deeper taste. You may detect rich flavours of muscatel, which can be fruity and occasionally sweet.
- When it comes to the appearance of first-flush and second-flush teas, a striking contrast can be observed in the leaves themselves. First-flush teas are young, tender, and vibrant. These leaves often exhibit a delicate and elegant appearance, appearing light green in colour. On the other hand, second-flush teas present a different visual experience. The leaves of the second flush undergo a significant transformation as they mature further. With the passage of time, these leaves develop a deeper hue, showcasing shades of brown with silver tips. This change in colour signifies the progression of the tea leaves' growth and reflects the distinct characteristics that define second-flush teas.
- The aromas of first and second-flush teas differ as well. First-flush teas tend to have a refreshing and floral aroma that awakens the senses. You might detect hints of blossoms, spring meadows, or even a subtle sweetness in the scent. Second-flush teas, on the other hand, often carry a more pronounced aroma with deeper and more complex notes. The fragrance can range from fruity to musky, evoking thoughts of ripe berries or even a touch of spice.
- First flush teas, with their lighter and more delicate flavour profile, offer a refreshing and invigorating experience. On the other hand, second-flush teas bring a fuller body and deeper flavours to the table. With their matured leaves, these teas offer a rich and satisfying experience.
- Another notable difference is the availability of these teas. First-flush teas are highly anticipated and sought after, often considered the "prized gems" of the tea world. Due to their limited production and high demand, they may be more challenging to find and can be relatively more expensive. Second-flush teas, while still cherished, are generally more readily available and accessible.
Planning to buy Darjeeling Tea online? Explore our Darjeeling first-flush and second-flush teas here. Our comprehensive pluck-to-packet approach enables us to offer Darjeeling Tea at a market-leading price point. Whether you're seeking Darjeeling Single Estate Tea, Darjeeling Black Tea, or Darjeeling Green Tea, our offerings are accompanied by the highest international certifications, ensuring exceptional quality and authenticity.